Today we will discuss about the alloy. In our day to day life alloy has got immense importance. The ratio of composition is very important while studying the alloy.
Alloy can be considered as a solid solution.
Eg. Brass (Zinc and Copper)
- Duralumin – Al:Cu:Mg:Mn = 95:4:0.5:0.5
Used for making bodies of aircraft and pressure cooker
- Magnalium – Al:Mg = 90:10
Used for making bodies of aircraft
- Stainless steel – Fe:Cr:Ni:C = 73:18:8:1
Used for making utensils and cutlery
- Manganese steel – Fe:C:Mn = 85:1:14
Used for making Armour plates and Rock drill machine
- Nickel steel – Fe:Ni = 95:5
Used for making Automobile parts and Electric wire cable
- Invar – Fe:Ni:C = 63:36:1
Used for making scientific instruments and metre scale
- Brass – Cu:Zn = 70:30
Used for making decorative utensils, screws, cartridge, and parts of watch
- Bronze – Cu:Sn:Zn = 80:18:2
Used for making medals, statues, utensils
- German silver – Cu:Zn:Ni = 50:30:Ni
Used for making electric heater, rheostat and decorative articles
- Solder or Fuse metal – Pb:Sn = 50:50
Used for making welding and fuse
If you have enjoyed reading this post Alloy I would be very grateful if you would help it to spread by sharing on social media like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, by clicking on the share buttons below. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask them in the comment section below.
See you in my next blog post.
Also Read on Science Reckoner: